Sunday, February 20, 2011


We're running xs1100 forks on the front of the bike for additional stiffness, but before reassembling the forks and putting them back on the bike, some changes were made.  Compression blowoff valves were machined and installed to allow for tuning both the low speed and high speed compression damping rates, rebound rate will be controlled mostly by the choice of fork oil.  The stock fork caps were also tossed and replaced with new caps which allow full variation in preload.  New fork clamps will also be machined with an offset designed specifically for the bike.

Friday, February 18, 2011

XS Manx

I pulled some long hours in the shop the last few days to get the wheels for the Manx bike built, we're going to use H profile 18x2.15 rims laced with Buchanan stainless spokes to the stock hubs for this bike.  The smaller front wheel should make the front end a bit more nimble, alloy rims came stock on the XS650, but the stock spokes were in poor shape, so it made sense to go with stainless, polish everything, and rebuild the wheels properly.

Lacing the rims takes the better part of an hour, truing takes the rest, but the result is definitely worth while.  Polishing these parts up from the snotty stock parts took hours and hours, but again, was well worth it for what will be a show stopping bike.

I got the wheels to Toby yesterday and he was able to mount the new tires, and balance the wheels.  He chose Continental "ContiGO" tires, because of the sticky compound, and modern performance design.  I think they look great on the wheels, the front wheel is being stopped by a modern two piston sliding caliper on a 320mm Ducati rotor.  

XS Manx

Toby finished the engine and brought it to the shop tonight, looking great, it's definitely the nicest engine I've seen.  He went through the entire engine, piece by piece and inspected everything, replacing any parts that were worn or damaged.  The cylinders were honed, valves lapped, all the goodies to make the engine run better than it did when it came from the factory.
Toby bead blasted all the engine parts and put on a fresh coat of enamel too, much better looking than the stock black muck that came from the factory.  
Detail shots of the engine are impressive.

Monday, February 7, 2011

 Toby is finishing up stripping the extra junk from the frame, quite a few hours went into just getting all the tabs, mounts and hangers off before we can add a flat rear hoop and some bracing.  The frame will be sandblasted next so any welding can be done on clean metal.
 The frame is looking better, some extra bracing will be designed and welded on once the motor is back in, so we avoid interference with it.
 The carbs have been cleaned and the old paint stripped off, the bodies have been ultrasonically cleaned and Toby has gone through and inspected and ordered replacement parts where needed.
Carb bowls have been ultrasonically cleaned too, and polished.

While waiting for the engine to finish up, I machined a titanium rear axle to replace the stock steel unit, for a savings of 10oz of unsprung mass.  The front will get one too, as well as rebuilt forks and custom cartridge emulators.